The number of patients at our Hamilton hospitals has remained stable/ slightly decreased over the week and we thankfully going into the weekend a bit further away from our redeployment threshold number than we were last Monday. Although the number of COVID positive patients have stayed the same, there have been fewer admissions of non-COVID patients and major efforts for efficient and safe discharge.
Will continue to update you as frequently as we can.
We did open incoming and outgoing electives July 1. This was a national decision made by the PG Deans. As some of you may have already found out, since that announcement was made, there has been a lot of confusion re changes in this directive at other institutions, primarily affecting the Internal Medicine residents.
University of Toronto has cancelled all incoming and outgoing electives within the Department of Medicine for blocks 1-3; Western has cancelled incoming for blocks 1 and 2 for ALL electives. UBC has cancelled all incoming and outgoing electives within the Dept of Medicine,
There are ongoing discussions today nationally with the IM PD group and the PG Deans.
Will update you as we get up to date and accurate information.
I recognize that there are a lot of inequity issues for allowing incoming electives for IM subspecialties but our own residents cannot go elsewhere. So we will be taking this into consideration depending on what happens in the rest of the country.
Right now- this is primarily affecting the IM residents, but again once I have more information for you, will let you know.
Please let me know if you have any questions; you can email me directly and I will respond as soon as possible.
Hope all of you had some time off this long weekend.
Just updating you on developments over the weekend.
One of our retirement home has had a major outbreak and patients have had to be admitted to our Hamilton hospitals- currently SJH has 39 COVID positive patient and 35-40 patients at HGH ( non-COVID positive patients admitted as well.
We have had faculty from IM and staff who have been redeployed over the weekend to help with discharges and admissions for these patients.
We are still not at the threshold for resident redeployment and the hospitals will continue to utilise faculty for the next few days. However, as the situation can change (and certainly the chance of another outbreak in a LTC facility), thought I would give all of you a heads up. Especially as I sent a message last week saying that it was unlikely redeployment was going to happen.
Will keep you informed as the situation evolves.
Again, there are no immediate plans for resident redeployment at this time.
Just a couple of updates to share with you. Will send a more detailed update on Friday march 20th.
As always, email me your questions and comments.
First, I want to clarify my recent message regarding study leave for the certification examinations for our final year Royal College residents. As mentioned, all postgraduate offices across the country are working with the Royal College to discuss potential alternatives for this year’s exams, aside from deferral until next year. Our recommendation is to coordinate your study leave with your program director and exercise the option of deferring it if you need to. We will leave it to you and your programs to decide what would be best for you. Specialty residents will have received an email from the Royal College March 17th, regarding potential written exam dates; the PG Dean continue to be in discussion with the Royal College.
New self-isolation protocol- approved by SJH, HHS and McMaster University. As of March 13th, we had instituted a 14 day self-isolation after international travel. This is the updated version from HHS/SJH and McMaster University.
Self-monitor your symptoms for 14 days as per EHS instructions.
You must wear a mask upon return to work.
If you develop symptoms, do not come to work. Report to your Public Health Unit and EHS. Follow PH/EHS directions regarding COVID-19 testing, monitoring, and planning your return to work. Notify your program director/ program administrator of your situation.
This protocol is a compromise that tries to balance decreasing al exposure risk to the patients if unneeded and ensuring that we have enough qualified healthcare workers if and when we need it.
Again, a longer message will go out on Friday.
Thanks again for everything you do
Parveen Parveen Wasi, MD, FRCPC Associate Dean
Postgraduate Medical Education
Faculty of Health Sciences