|QI Co-Learning Curriculum (series 1)||September 21, 2023||1300-1600|
|February 15, 2024||1300-1600|
|QI Co-Learning Curriculum (series 2)||November 29, 2023||0900-1200|
|March 27, 2024||0900-1200|
|CMPA Faculty Development||September 29, 2023
November 7, 2023
|CMPA Patient Safety Primer (mandatory PGY1 FM & PGY2 Royal College)||Ongoing Virtual Sessions||Registration Info|
The RCPSC and CFPC have placed particular emphasis on training in Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (QIPS) over the course of the last few years. In the most recent iteration of the CanMEDS roles, there are more than 30 milestones that speak directly or indirectly to QIPS content. To help meet these milestones, the PGME office offers its Co-Learning Curriculum in QIPS annually to programs who wish for their residents and fellows to participate.
The curriculum consists of the following:
- A longitudinal year-long QI project that is mentored by a faculty member within your division or department who knows the clinical content area. Educational QI projects will continue to be accepted this year as clinical projects may be difficult as a result of social distancing and COVID precautions. Trainees have the opportunity to receive feedback on their QI projects at the mid-way point by a PGME QI faculty member.
- Two interactive AHD sessions on core QIPS content. Short pre-readings for the sessions will be provided. View dates for the current academic year on the PGME AHD Tracking Sheet.
- A research day featuring projects from the current Co-Learning cohort will be held at the end of the academic year.
Each year, programs are invited to register their trainees. Please contact Allison Paquette to register your trainees.
For further questions or clarifications on this curriculum, please contact Dr. Samara Chitayat.
- IHI Open school modules, Basic Certificate in Quality and Safety (online, free)
- American Society for Quality (online, paid), https://asq.org/training/catalog
- IDEAS (improving and driving excellence across centres, In-person, paid program) https://www.ideasontario.ca/
- Foundations course
- Advanced program
- EQUIP Program, Excellence in Quality Improvement certificate program, University of Toronto, paid, 9 months, https://www.cpd.utoronto.ca/equip/
- Masters Programs:
- Masters of Quality Improvement and Patient Safety, University of Toronto (paid program, 1 year, advanced), https://ihpme.utoronto.ca/academics/rd/qips-msc/
- Master of Science in Healthcare Quality, Queens University (paid program, 2 years, advanced) https://www.queensu.ca/sgs/programs-degrees/healthcare-quality
- Master of Healthcare Quality and Safety, Harvard Medical School, Full time 1 year option or 2-year part time option, >$100K
- Master of Quality and Safety in Healthcare, University of Leicester, United Kingdom, 1 year full time or 2-year part time, https://le.ac.uk/courses/quality-and-safety-in-healthcare-msc/2020, 9250 British pounds
- Masters of Science in Healthcare Quality, George Washington University, 2 years online program, https://healthsciencesprograms.gwu.edu/program/the-george-washington-university-healthcare-quality-master-master-of-science-in-health-sciences-1527569595576, $35K USD
- Master of science in Healthcare Quality and Patient Safety, program offered by Northwestern University, https://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/sites/cehs/our-programs/healthcare-quality-patient-safety/index.html, they have a Masters program which is 2 years part time, a faculty development course which is 1 year part time for faculty and a certificate course which is 1 year part time for healthcare professionals, Masters course is approx. $60K USD
- Nottingham University Masters of Quality and Patient Safety Improvement, https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Quality-and-Patient-Safety-Improvement-MSc, $19,000 British Pounds, 1 year full time or 2-4 years part time
- Johns Hopkins Master of Applied Science in Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality, https://www.jhsph.edu/academics/online-learning-and-courses/online-programs/online-programs-for-applied-learning/master-of-applied-science-patient-safety-and-healthcare-quality/index.html, fully online, don’t know cost
- Integrated Quality Management, online, paid program, 15 months, https://www.chalearning.ca/programs-and-courses/quality-safety/integrated-quality-management/
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement in-person training, multiple different courses, http://www.ihi.org/education/inpersontraining/Pages/default.aspx
- Canadian Patient Safety Officer Course, online OR in-person 4 days, paid, https://www.patientsafetyinstitute.ca/en/education/psoc/Pages/default.aspx
- Patient Safety Education Program, 2 day in person course, paid, https://www.patientsafetyinstitute.ca/en/education/PatientSafetyEducationProgram/Pages/default.aspx
- Effective Governance for Quality and Patient Safety Program, Canadian Health Services Research and Canadian Patient Safety Institute, for Hospital Board Members, CEOs, quality and safety leads, executive leadership, clinical leadership, https://www.patientsafetyinstitute.ca/en/education/EffectiveGovernanceProgram/Pages/default.aspx
- TeamSTEPPS Canada Master Trainer Training Course, course to develop high functioning teams, paid, in person course, https://www.patientsafetyinstitute.ca/en/education/TeamSTEPPS/Pages/TeamSTEPPS-Master-Trainer-Training-Course—2018-12-04.aspx
- Managing quality and patient safety in healthcare, Michener Institute Toronto, paid online program, https://michener.ca/ce_course/managing-quality-patient-safety-online/
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement, Patient Safety Executive Training Program, paid in person course, http://www.ihi.org/education/InPersonTraining/patient-safety-executive-development-program/Pages/default.aspx
- John’s Hopkins Patient Safety Online Course, https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/armstrong_institute/training_services/eLearning/armstrong_institute_catalog/patient_safety_certificate.html
- Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Leadership Program, designed for healthcare practitioners in Chaplain LHIN, Telfer School of Management at University of Ottawa, https://telfer.uottawa.ca/en/executiveprograms/our-programs/the-improving-quality-and-patient-safety-leadership-program, October to June, $6300
- Intermountain Healthcare Delivery Institute, advanced training program OR QI project course, in person, unsure of costs, https://intermountainhealthcare.org/about/transforming-healthcare/institute-for-healthcare-delivery-research/for-students/
- Veteran Affairs Quality Scholars, University of Toronto, 2 years, $1700, https://www.cquips.ca/education/#1511140061776-f61063cc-a938
Teaching Quality Improvement:
- ASPIRE course (advancing safety for patients in residency education, 1 week course in Ottawa, paid) http://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/events/advancing-safety-patients-in-residency-education-aspire-e